If you are looking for a MIG welder or information about them, you are in the right place. In this article, we will try to explain what are the characteristics and factors to take into account in regards to MIG welders, and in the same way, help you find the ideal welding machine for you.
Before you begin, you should know that having a MIG welding machine is an advantage, either for a workshop or for personal use, as long as welding is a fairly recurring activity. And it is that with a MIG welding machine, the thickness of the metals that join increases without sacrificing precision.
- 1 The best MIG MAG welding machines of 2020
- 2 The best MIG Inverter welder of 2020
- 3 The best 110V MIG welder of 2020
- 4 The best 220V MIG welding machine of 2020
- 5 The best MIG welding machine without gas of 2020
- 6 The best cheap MIG welding machine of 2020
- 7 See more MIG / MAG welding machines
- 8 Buyer Guide
- 9 MIG welding Machine Features To Consider
- 10 Differences Between MIG and TIG welders
The best MIG MAG welding machines of 2020
We have classified the best MIG welders on the market in different categories, according to the voltage, and the mode of operation, and in the same way the performance. The purchase of a higher performance welder is amortized through faster and more efficient joints with cleaner seams.
But, depending on the use that you are going to give it, many times it is usually enough with welding machines with less voltage, and in this way, less price.
The best MIG Inverter welder of 2020
Greencut- MIG / MAG Inverter Welder / Continuous Thread 185
This is the best MIG Inverter welder taking into account the price / quality factor . It is a very versatile welder, since, with which you can weld with MAG (active gas) or MIG (inactive gas) in addition to being a normal electrode welder .
It is a totally safe and stable welder. It can be adjusted from 25A to 185A , in order to achieve perfect and precise finishes in any type of material. In addition, it has the latest technologies in the world of welding, such as IGBT and PWM technology . In this way, we can achieve professional results.
In short, it is a versatile, reliable and powerful equipment that comes with many elements, although it also has some drawbacks. Among them, it can be noted that the mass electrode is too short to do its job well or that the instruction manual is quite disastrous .
The best 110V MIG welder of 2020
The 110 volt welding machines are perfect for smaller jobs and can be found at a much more affordable price than those with higher voltage.
The fact that the voltage is smaller does not mean that the welding power and quality must be sacrificed. I assure you that these MIG machines provide enough power for the price they have :
It is a 110V welding machine, simple and economical , which will do its job extremely well. It works perfectly , and if what you want is a welding machine for your DIY projects, it is enough for you, and highly recommended. Always keep in mind that you are not a professional welder .
Its operation is by means of animated thread, whose speed can be regulated, and it is possible to work in two positions of power: the minimum and the maximum.
For the price it has, you take a good welder home .
The best 220V MIG welding machine of 2020
For heavier and non-homemade jobs, that is, industrial or commercial welding processes, a larger 220v welder is recommended.
Typically, these cost a little more than smaller welding machines, but provide faster and more powerful welding.
Hitbox- MIG / MAG / ARC / LIFT TIG Inverter Welding Machine
It is a very versatile welder considering its price; In addition to MIG welding, TIG welding and electrode can be used.
Focusing on its continuous wire welding function , 0.8 and 1 millimeters can be welded, and the speed and power of the wire can be adjusted separately. In addition, it also gives the option to adjust these factors automatically, a great advantage in some cases.
The best thing is that the machine is very reliable and works very well , and it is a very economical model to be a 220v welding machine .
The best MIG welding machine without gas of 2020
Royal Power- MIG Welder 130 230V
Before anything else you should know that he is not a professional welder, and that makes him have this price . But it is a welding machine that fulfills its function great , and with which you can get clean fine welds.
The most remarkable thing about this welding machine is its easy use , so it is a highly recommended welder for beginners and not very experienced people . In addition this system is much easier than welding with electrode to start. The only thing you have to learn is to control the speed and the power of the thread a little.
The welder comes with a free reel to start the job better , and also brings a mask and a pickaxe , which although they are not of very good quality can serve you for the first fudges until you buy higher quality protections.
The best cheap MIG welding machine of 2020
Royal Power- Mig 100 Continuous Wireless Welder
This is the cheapest MIG welder we have found on the net, and according to the opinions it has (it has a 4.4 out of 5 on Amazon ), it is a welder that you can trust. And for the price you pay what you receive is very good .
The welder works between 50 A and 90 A , and is ideal for welding the sheet of thicknesses between 0 and 3 millimeters . It has a weight of 14 kg , and although it is not as light as other models, it does not have an excessive weight, so it can be portable.
It has ventilation and comes with welding wire. So it is the best purchase you can make for less than 100 euros .
See more MIG / MAG welding machines
If this selection of MIG welders doesn’t convince you, you can check out the MIG welders Amazon has:
What is a MIG welder?
It is used to weld metals of thicknesses greater than ¼ inch, making use of inactive gas for the protection of the atmosphere. The MIG welder consists of maintaining an arc of the consumable electrode of solid wire and the piece to be welded. The use of this machine has been increasing due to requests from companies, as it allows them to lose minimum quantities of materials, increasing productivity levels.
MIG Welding Machine Uses
It can be used to weld various materials, such as carbon steel, stainless metals, aluminium, etc. Its productivity has a high percentage of efficiency, given the performance capacity by a continuous electrode, which does not need to be changed with a higher relief rate than the others, allowing welding to be carried out long and continuously.
Although there are several types of welding processes, the process most used by both industrial and amateur manufacturers is MIG welding. MIG welding is the most basic welding process and is still considered the standard in industrial welding processes.
While it is not a particularly difficult process to learn, it requires the use of complex equipment and requires practice to master the different MIG welding positions. But with a good welder and desire to learn, anyone can become a good MIG welder.
MIG welding Process
The MIG welding process involves using a consumable cable that is fed from a reel to the junction on the metal you want to weld.
This is done using a MIG welding gun fed by an inert gas to produce a high-temperature arc to melt the wire feed into a bead in the joint.
There are three basic and distinct processes. We have the “ short circuit ” transfer, “ globular ” transfer and the “ sprayed ” arc transfer. Let’s see what they consist of:
- Short circuit transfer: known as a short arc. The change of metal occurs when an electrical short circuit is determined, that is, when at the tip of the wire makes a joint with the molten junction.
- Globular transfer: it is a process by which the drops of the metal – call it molten – are too large to sink by the force of gravity.
- Spray arc transfer: occurs when small drops of molten metal are removed from the tip of the wire and projected into the weld.
If you have questions about the type of welding you need, I recommend you take a look at our article types of welding. advantages and differences.
Advantages of using the MIG welding machine
- They are recommended due to their ease of operation, as they produce high manufacturing rates for their performance.
- Welding instruments such as cables and guns are lightweight making transport and handling easier for the operator.
- They are very versatile in terms of the variety of metals and fusions that can be used
MIG welding Machine Features To Consider
Before buying a MIG welder, there are some factors that you should consider to find your ideal MIG welder according to the use you are going to give it and your needs:
As we have done by showing you the best welders, in terms of voltage we can classify MIG welders into three groups: 110V, 220V and multiple voltages. The higher the voltage, the more versatility to perform all kinds of work.
Even if the main type of welding used is MIG, there are technologies that allow the flow of wire feed for aluminium bonding and some types of rod welding.
Easy to use
The quality of welding is determined in equal parts by the ability of the welder and the capabilities of the welder. Therefore, an amateur welder must choose an easy-to-use machine.
A MIG welder that can be transported is ideal to have at home. In this way, it can be used to repair parts that are outside or to lend it as a favour.
MIG welding machines are not cheap, so if you want a MIG welding machine you should look for one that allows you to carry out the projects you want to do, and that offers you the peace of mind of a 3 or 5-year warranty.
- Have the safety equipment ready to help you keep your body covered by preventing exposure to ultraviolet rays.
- Choose a MIG gun that is comfortable, they can be cooled by water or air.
- Prepare the area where you are going to weld, avoid flammable materials nearby and look for a good surface to be able to weld.
- Get the right thread, making sure it is the same material to be welded. For example, if you are going to assemble stainless steel, use a stainless steel wire.
Today, the MIG welding machine is used in many applications within workshops and factories, as well as by many people who have hobby decorating or maintaining the home and, of course, for all those passionate about welding work.
Differences Between MIG and TIG welders
There are many people who want to know what the difference between MIG and TIG welders is, and although it is usually a matter of taste, we show you the biggest differences between the two:
- The welding process is different. MIG welding is carried out using metallic inert gas to feed a wire, while the TIG is a rod that feeds the weld pool.
- Hands free or not. These MIG welders leave you a free hand to be able to hold the part or for what you need, while for TIG welding you need both hands when having to hold the rod.
- Speed and finish. MIG welding is fast welding that can cover a lot of surfaces, although the finish is not quite good. In contrast, TIG welding is much slower, but the finishes you achieve are much better.
- Art vs. Functionality. Continuing with the comments in the previous point, the MIG is to achieve strong welding for large sections, while the TIG is for small parts and perfect finishes.